I am an Oakland, California-based travel writer and photographer. I have previously lived in Seattle, London, Indiana, and Alaska.I have worked with Lonely Planet in an ongoing capacity since 2014, and produce freelance articles for other publications.
I work to create content that leverages my local knowledge to enhance authority and value to readers.
Recent Byline Highlights
How close are we to sending tourists to space?
(The Globe & Mail, April 2019)
The joy of seeing Canada by train
(Rocky Mountaineer, March 2019)
How one Amador County miner inspired world’s first mountaintop observatory
(February 2019, San Francisco Chronicle)
Geek out on outer space at these 5 spots in L.A.
(January 2019, San Francisco Chronicle)
Other Portfolio Highlights
You can find my entire portfolio on Contently: https://vstimac.contently.com/
A quick guide to San Francisco’s best neighborhoods
Why overlooked Dominica is a must for sun-seeking adventure lovers
(The Globe & Mail)
The Space Needle: Seattle icon of the past, future
Cunard is Planning a Special Space-Themed Cruise Next Year
(Travel + Leisure)
5 Mysterious Places to Experience Stranger Things
(Nat Geo Travel)
Four scenic trips on four wheels in Northern California
Experience Martian life at a desert dome camp in Jordan
(Lonely Planet News)
7 Insane Adventures You Must Have in Jordan
The Ghosts Of The Redwood Coast
Is Space Tourism Finally Within Our Reach?
- I’m A Full-Time Freelancer, And Here’s How I Navigated Health Insurance, Fairy God Boss (2018)
- 10 Travel Writers Tell of Their First Publication Experiences, Matador (June 9, 2016)
- Introducing the 2016 Editors of GoGo This Week, Trip.com (May 20, 2016)
- The 51 Coolest Side Projects We’ve Ever Seen, The Muse (June 10, 2015)
- Bay Area Travel Writers (October 2018)
- The Women in Travel Summit (April 2017)
- The Michigan Bed & Breakfast
AssocationAnnual Convention (November 2016)
Need something else? Contact Me!