As you move west across the North American continent, rolling hills give way to Great Plains, then eventually erupt into the Rocky Mountains. From these towering peaks to the coast, the landscape is a dramatic patchwork. Geographers, geologists, historians, and modern travelers divide up this area in a number of ways, with fluid borders depending on what they want to see. For this reason, it’s hard to define where the Mountain West ends and the Great Basin (to the west) or Southwest (to the south) begins.
On this page, I’ve combined two regions that I currently cover on my site which are similar in geography but physically separate. The Mountain West includes the states of Colorado, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming; the Great Basin primarily covers Nevada, but also includes areas of Oregon and Utah. Here I’ll share my stories from both of these regions, as they share similarities: mountain ranges, high elevation, and adventure in every direction.
- One Day in Vegas: The 10 Best Things to Do in a Single Day
- Where to Stay in Vegas: 7 Amazing Hotels for Every Budget & Style
- 11 Adventurous Outdoor Day Trips from Las Vegas
- 9 Epic Las Vegas Road Trips to Skip the Strip
- How to Make the Most of One Day in Great Basin National Park
- The Perfect 2- or 3-Day Great Basin National Park Itinerary
- The 13 Best Things to Do in Baker: Gateway to Great Basin
- The 9 Best Things to Do in Carson Valley & Nevada’s South Lake Tahoe for a Weekend Trip
- 3 Days in Reno: The Best Things to Do in the Biggest Little City
- 3 Days in Moab: 20 Things to Do for an Adventurous Weekend
- The 8 Best Things to Do in St. George for a Weekend Trip
- How to Visit Arches and Canyonlands in One Day
- How to Make the Most of One Day in Arches National Park
- How to Make the Most of One Day in Canyonlands National Park
- How to Make the Most of One Day in Capitol Reef National Park
- How to Make the Most of One Day in Zion National Park
Want to Keep Exploring?
Here are my recent posts from across the globe!
- Where to Stay in Haines: 6 Great Hotels & Other Alaskan Accommodations
- UnCruise Adventures is “Best in Alaska,” Among Awards for 2024
- The 7 Best Things to Do in Haines, Alaska’s “Adventure Capital”
- Alaska in May: How to Plan a Shoulder Season Visit
- Where to Stay in Girdwood: A Guide to the Best Hotels, Inns & More
- Where to Eat in Girdwood, Alaska: 13 Great Restaurants to Try