California has long drawn the dreamers, the artists, those with stars in their eyes – and those with dreams of gold, from dust in the hills to stars on Hollywood Boulevard. Funnily enough, I never imagined I would be one of them! When I started visiting California, I didn’t think I would ever live here – and then in 2017, Mr. V and I relocated here from Seattle!
Since then I’ve been hard at work creating some of the best California travel guides I can, because I love discovering and sharing all the amazing places in this surprisingly huge and diverse state. Whether you’re dreaming of a Pacific Coast Highway road trip or visiting one of the booming urban areas or pristine national parks… I’ve got you covered!
General Travel Advice & Road Trip Tips
There is perhaps no better way to explore California than by hitting the open road; below you’ll find my most general advice for visiting as well as lots of resources for planning the ultimate road trip.
California National Parks
Home to 9 national parks, California boasts the biggest number in the country; these areas represent the incredible natural diversity of the Golden State and are top destinations – as well as ones I love visiting, too!
- The Complete (Bucket) List of National Parks in the West
- A 10-Day California Road Trip & National Park Itinerary
- How to Make the Most of One Day in Death Valley National Park
- A Perfect Death Valley National Park Itinerary: 2 or 3 Days Below Sea Level
- How to Make the Most of One Day in Joshua Tree National Park
- The Perfect Joshua Tree Itinerary: 2 or 3 Days in California’s High Desert
- The Best Things to Do at Pinnacles National Park for 1-2 Days
- How to Make the Most of One Day in Sequoia National Park
- How to Make the Most of One Day in Yosemite National Park
- Two Days in Yosemite: Itinerary for a Short Weekend
- 3 Days in Yosemite: The 12 Best Things to Do for a Weekend
San Francisco Guides
As I called the San Francisco Bay Area home for four years, I’ve got some resources dedicated specifically to the “City by the Bay.”
Northern California Destination Guides
I prefer Northern California among the parts of the state to explore, and have lots of travel resources from the various trips I’ve made throughout the region.
- The 11 Best Things to Do in Carmel-by-the-Sea for a Weekend
- 3 Days in Crescent City: 15 Best Things to Do for a Weekend
- The 11 Best Things to Do in Fort Bragg, CA for a Weekend
- The 12 Best Things to Do for a Mendocino Weekend Getaway
- The 11 Best Things to Do in Monterey for a Weekend Trip
- The 11 Best Things to Do in Mount Shasta for a Weekend Trip
- 3 Days in Downtown Napa: What to Eat & Drink (Beyond Wine)
- 3 Days in San Jose, CA: Itinerary of the Best Things to Do in the South Bay
- The 6 Best Things to Do on a Santa Rosa Weekend Trip
Southern California Guides
Southern California’s pretty nice too, so I have a few travel resources if that’s the part of the state you want to visit.
Want to Keep Exploring?
Here are my recent posts from across the globe!
- 10 Essentials You Need to Pack for Alaska in the Winter
- How to Drive the Klondike-Kluane Loop: Road Trip the Best of the Yukon
- Where to Stay in the Yukon: 9 Best Hotels, Motels, Cabins and B&Bs
- The 13 Best Things to Do in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory
- How to Plan the Perfect Alaska Winter Itinerary
- Where to Eat in Dawson City: 9 Spots to Nosh in the Northern Yukon