When I set out on a 10-day cruise in late March, I had a lasting impression. The particular 10-day itinerary I was on (a Panama Canal cruise) included four full days at sea – a lot for someone who’s never been on a cruise before!
Over the course of those four days, I set out to find out exactly how much one could do aboard the ship. I’ve seen many lists of the “top 10 things for families” and “7 most relaxing things” you can do aboard a cruise ship… but no comprehensive lists. Here’s my list of things you can do – 45 things to do on a day at sea!
This list is specific to the ship I sailed aboard, the Coral Princess, but there are equivalent services on basically any major cruise ship!
1. Read the “Princess Patter” or equivalent schedule for your ship each day. These handy newsletters are delivered outside your cabin each night and contain the entire schedule of planned events for the day ahead.
2. Rise early to watch the sunrise.
3. Enjoy a fresh coffee from the International Café.
4. Go gambling in the casino.
5. Book and enjoy a massage or wellness treatment at the spa.
6. Get a haircut or blowout in the salon.
7. Work up a sweat by working out in the fitness center.
8. Seclude yourself in The Sanctuary for peace and quiet.
9. Grab a favorite book from The Library and spend the day reading.
10. Enjoy a slice of pizza.
11. Indulge in an ice cream cone from the ice cream bar.
12. Visit all of the restaurants and cafés to see if you can make your favorite food aboard the ship – I was able to make currywurst!
13. Walk laps on the Promenade deck.
14. Attend a lecture, like the astronomy lectures provided by Paul Cirillo I attended.
15. Book a tour to visit the Bridge.
16. Attend a live performance in the theater.
17. Do Zumba.
18. Learn a new type of dance at a ballroom dancing class.
19. Lounge in the sun on the Lido Deck.
20. Swim in one of the pools.
21. Relax in one of the hot tubs.
22. Go golfing on the putting green.
23. Challenge a friend to a game of ping pong.
24. Shoot some hoops on the basketball court.
25. Try your hand to learn shuffleboard or bocce.
26. Watch a Movie Under the Stars, which include popular options like movies from the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them.
27. Attend a Destination Presentation to learn about the next port you’ll be visiting.
28. Browse the art and participate in an art auction it the shipboard gallery.
29. Take a nap. It’s vacation!
30. Book a table for afternoon tea in the dining room.
31. Attend a photography seminar…
32. … or book a portrait session with a shipboard photographer.
33. Sip and spit at a wine tasting.
34. Depending on the region you’re sailing, try spirit tasting, like the rum tasting aboard the Coral Princess while in the Caribbean.
35. Once you’re loosened up from the wine or rum, do karaoke!
36. Enjoy dinner at one of the specialty restaurants.
37. Splurge and book a seat at the Chef’s Table for an unforgettable meal.
38. Play bingo, a long-time fave for cruisers.
39. Attend a meetup in your area of interest, like the LGBT Get-Together, Knitters & Natters Get-Together, Singles & Solo Travelers Get-Together, or Informal Bible Study.
40. Reduce your cabin charges by grabbing a drink (or two) during Happy Hour.
41. Watch the sunset from an open deck.
42. Watch live sports, like the NCAA Finals, which Princess streamed live aboard the Lido Deck.
43. Go stargazing once the sun sets.
44. Stay up late dancing – think disco, EDM, or whatever the DJ wants to play.
45. Sleep deeply and wake up rested for more shipboard adventures the next morning!
If you, like me, are a first time cruiser, this list will give you plenty to stay busy, no matter how many days at sea you have.
Did I miss any? Let me know in the comments and I’ll add them!
[info]I spent 10 days aboard the Coral Princess on their Panama Canal cruise itinerary. You can see more on the Princess Cruises website, and book your trip here. This post was created in partnership with Princess Cruises.[/info][success]If you enjoyed this story, check out others about my cruise:
- Facing Fears through Travel – Diving Into Aruba
- An Easy Walking Tour of Colorful Old Town Cartagena
- Photography Tips for Casco Viejo, Panama City
- On Cacao in Costa Rica
- Rafting the Martha Brae, Coconut in Hand
- What the Food on a Cruise is Really Like
- 5 Delicious Caribbean Treats I am Constantly Craving
- What to Pack for a 10-Day Caribbean Cruise